November 15, 2009
Sunday
I thought I had written sometime during this week, but it appears as though I have not. Weird. So, I have an entire week to catch up on.
I took my chemistry exam in the early afternoon on Tuesday and got an 83% on it, which is better than I did on the last test. I was rather more relieved to have it done than upset that I didn’t do better. And actually I was expecting to do worse, because there was a lot of material covered on the test, and a ton of details to remember. After such a busy week and a half that I had, I was feeling pretty burnt out for the rest of the week. When I got home from taking my test, I ate and watched tv for a while, without feeling guilty. I needed a break. Then when Daniel came home, he was feeling down and burnt out as well. So netiher of us did very much studying that night. Mostly we just watched some lame Christmas movie on TV. And I did a little of my Spanish independent study lessons.
Dan and I got to bed rather late on Tuesday night, so we slept in on Wednesday morning, and I didn’t get a chance to go to the gym. Wednesday wasn’t a great day for me. I got 2 of my Spanish lessons done, in the time I didn’t have classes. Then Daniel was supposed to pick me up after my class, at around 5pm; but there was some miscommunication and I forgot my cell phone at home, so I ended up waiting around for about half an hour before I just started walking. It didn’t help that I was starving. So, I was frustrated, but then Dan and I went to Applebee’s for dinner. It was veterans day, and since Daniel is in the military, he got a free meal there that day. That was fun to go, and the food was SO good. There was a really long wait when we got our name on the list, so we went to a shoe store and TJMaxx to just look around for the time we had to wait. We had a lot of fun. Because of all of this, we were about 20 minutes late to our guitar class. But class was still fun.
Thursday morning, Dan actually came to the gym with me, and we worked out together. We just lifted weights, but it felt really good, and it was fun that he was with me. When we got home, we just took our time getting ready, and then went to school…or actually, I took Daniel to school. Later, after coming back and finishing another Spanish lesson, I went to Dr. Wiest’s office to shadow Lindsey for about an hour. Then I picked up Kathryn and we went to get some Guru’s for lunch. We took it back to my apartment to eat and watch some Gilmore Girls. It was way fun, and we don’t spend enough time together.
I did study a bit that day, picked up Daniel, and that night, we went to a Folk Ensemble Concert. We have to attend three guitar concerts for our guitar class, and this one was the second one we’ve been to. It was son fun! Folk Music is fun to listen to, upbeat and fast. Half way through the concert, Dan and I both decided that we want to quit our majors and become music majors and play music all our lives. It just looked so fun. My new plan is to master the guitar (or just get good enough at it), then take voice lessons and learn how to sing, and then learn to play the violin. That would be so much fun! I just love music.
Friday was a good day. I walked to school because Daniel went to a meeting for his brother, Michael, who wants to start a business associated with Camp Williams. I don’t know exactly what it is, but Dan went to an informational meeting about it, to be a good brother and help out Michael. School was good. Afterwards, Dan and I sent Brian a package with pictures and a tape in it, and then went to the bookstore to fill up some ink cartridges. We looked around at all the stuff in the bookstore and realized how much BYU paraphernalia we DON’T have. And I’m almost a BYU graduate! But, then again, all of the stuff in the bookstore is really expensive. It was fun to look, though.
We went to look at used bikes at this little shop in Provo. Dan wants a nicer bike than any we saw there, but there was a bike I liked well enough. And I’m not as picky as Daniel is when it comes to bikes. So, we’ll probably get me a used bike from that place. When we got home, I got into kind of a funk about something. I don’t really know. But Daniel went to an Elder’s Quorum activity while I stayed home and studied. It was a nice peaceful evening for me while Dan was gone. The activity he went to was a Dutch oven dinner cook-off, and he came home with a plate full of delicious food for me, plus some goodies from Wal-Mart. We did a little more studying and then we just played later that night, did some Latin dancing, and all that.
Yesterday I got up and spent the morning cleaning the house and getting ready. It was about time to do a thorough clean of the whole house, and it felt really good to clean it. I had an interview at UCDH (Utah College of Dental Hygiene) in the early afternoon of Saturday. It was kind of an interesting process I had to go through. First, they brought me into a computer lab to answer some essay questions. Next, I was pulled out to be interviewed by some of the admissions people. It went well. They asked me questions about the activities that I’ve been involved in, leadership positions I’ve taken, why I want to be a Dental Hygienist and other questions like that. I told them about playing soccer, being a PD of the TOPS program, and why I wanted to be a DH. They told me about some of the financial things, about how they are switching their start date from September to May, and other things about the program. The program is SO expensive. I kind of decided after I left that I wouldn’t want to do that. My drive to do dental hygiene has dropped very significantly. I don’t even really want to do it anymore. Anyway, after the interview, I finished my essays, and they brought me in to talk to a financial counselor, who basically told me that I wouldn’t qualify for any grant money (because I’m getting a bachelor’s degree in April and I’ve already been awarded grant money), but that 32,000 of the $50,000 program cost could be taken up in student loans. But the $18,000 left I would have to shoulder myself. He splits that up into 4 “easy” payments of $4,500, every May and September. Yeah right! Next, they had me take a 50 question intelligence aptitude test, in 12 minutes, focusing mostly on the answers I got right. And last, they had me talk to the director of admissions about how everything was, the interview process, my prerequisites and when I’ll get those done, and also, to take my lab coat size. Random! It was very interesting and lengthy process, by far the most intense of the DH programs I’ve applied to. I just walked out of there thinking, “I don’t really want to do this anymore. Too much money, and it doesn’t interest me like it should. They only great thing about it (DH) is that it pays well. But is it really worth it if I don’t like the work?” So, Daniel and I talked about it, and we both feel a lot better about personal training, even though it doesn’t pay as well. It’s something I’m interested in and want to get more into, and it could help that I already have a bachelor’s degree in a related field. So, that’s the direction we’re leaning to. I’ll just work next year, probably, and work on getting into better shape and certified for personal training. I am still toying with the idea of getting a Master’s degree in exercise physiology. That sounds like it would be cool…although it does mean another couple of years of school, which is not exactly something that either of us wants to do, especially if it interferes with our plans for after graduation (Daniel’s graduation).
Today, in Sunday school, we talked about personal history and family history work, along with the temple. It was way good, and I wrote down some things about it. I would love to get more into family history work when I’m done with school. I have a lot of family members that have worked really diligently on it, and I really think I should talk with them about what they know and what they’ve discovered. I was spot-lighted in Relief Society, which was fun, and I talked to a lot of girls today, which was good. I feel like I’m coming out of my shell again, and getting to know more people.
After church, I went visiting teaching to Jamie (Clark). She’s a nice girl. She’s graduating in December, and really excited about it. But she doesn’t know what she’s going to do afterwards. She is doing her student teaching for art education right now, but no one is going to hire her for halfway through the year. Anyway, she’s really interesting.
We have been doing lots of different stuff today. I worked on the blog and our wedding scrapbook, Dan did a lot of reading, we took a nap and played Skip-bo. We’ve just lately been talking to members of our family. And who knows what we’ll do next!
No comments:
Post a Comment