Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Slump Week

Periodically, I go through what I call "slump week". It's a few days, or even a week, where I just feel ... for lack of a better word, bleh. I'm not really depressed (well, maybe a little), I'm not unhappy; but I'm not happy or cheerful or energetic or excited about life. It's just ... bleh.

Well, that was last week for me. I didn't have much of anything going on last week. And I took that week off of my normal cleaning rotation so that I could work on projects. But those projects didn't really make any headway either, because ... slump week.

Every time slump week happens, I tend to get frustrated and anxious and try to pull myself out of it. I act like it's going to last forever. But then, it never does. Maybe my trying so hard to fight it just ends up exacerbating it. Hmm... I'll have to think that one over.

Anyway, I did all my usual stuff last week: kept to my running schedule; read my scriptures; got dressed. And I tried to do some fun stuff with the girls, too. We went to the pool once and to the park. But, slump week would persist. It's pretty tenacious. It didn't help that I had been reading things online about what they're calling "The Really Big One". An earthquake that is supposed to devastate the northwest. And also that I was buying into some of my Aunt Lynn's theories about the collapse of America that's supposed to take place in a mere few months. I got really anxious for about a day, went to the temple (which helped a little to shake it off), and then decided that it was time to work on food storage. I have since calmed down substantially. I'm not sure when the world will collapse, and I don't really care that much (well, maybe a little). But I am going to make sure we are prepared. So, I'm going forward with food storage planning, preparing, and obtaining. That's my main project now. I think it's important no matter what happens and when.

Brooke, Camille and I went to pool on Thursday. I stuck some food in the crockpot earlier in the day, so that we could spend all afternoon at the pool, if we wanted to, without having to hurry home to figure out dinner. It was brilliant, really. I should do that every day. No heat from oven/stove on a hot summer day + not having to prepare dinner at the craziest part of the day = best plan ever! Anyway. We had a grand ol' time at the pool. Brooke has this puddle jumper that we put her in so that she can swim around on her own, and I think she really enjoys the freedom and independence. She likes kicking around the pool to get where she wants to go, and "jumping" into the pool. (Her version of jumping into the pool is going to the 2nd step and sort of pushing into the pool. I tried to have her jump in from the edges. She wouldn't do it. I also tried throwing her up in the air; she claimed that she enjoyed it, but didn't want me to do it again.)

Camille likes the pool, too. I kind of rotate her in and out of the little baby raft we have for her. She likes that, but I think she likes me holding her and swishing her in the water, too. At one point, she got a little fussy, and I had the feeling that she was a little tired of being in the pool. So I took her out and strapped her into the stroller with my keys and a toy to play with. And then (freedom!), I jumped into the pool and swam around at my leisure. It felt. So. Good. I left Camille in her stroller for a while, and she was happy as a lark (always) just watching Brooke and me and playing with my keys. Brooke and I swam together, pretended together, and played together in the pool. It was nice to have some one-on-one play time with Brooke. At one point, she said, "Mom, I'm a mermaid!" and started swimming around. And then, totally out of the blue, like, 10 seconds later, she said, "Mom, I really love you." Well, if that didn't just melt my heart. It was so sweet and unexpected. Usually, I feel like I have to prompt an "I love you" out of her; I say it to her, and she always says it back. But that day, she just ... said it. It was so sweet! That little girl ... I think she's the best ever. She has her shenanigans, and she is ever so good at making messes and getting into stuff she shouldn't. But she is so sweet and good and kind. And every time I hear other mothers talk about their kids and the kind of stuff they do, I'm always so grateful for my Brooke. I love her!

I sometimes feel a little bad, because I'm always gushing over the baby. I mean, she is just about the sweetest, most adorable creature on the face of the planet. So, she's totally gush-worthy. But I always wonder if Brooke feels like I love Camille more than her because of that. Well, and I tend to spend a lot of time with Camille, nursing her, carrying her, watching her, etc. And I get after Brooke when she does unkind things to Camille. But Brooke never seems bothered by the attention I give Camille. I really think she's a champ. In every way. When I get a little irritated or frustrated at her, I always try to remember that she's so good. And I always end up grateful that I have her.

Well, I really got off on a tangent there. But I've been thinking about my Brooke and how awesome she is. I hope that she knows, with her young mind, how much I value and love her and think she's just terrific.

Slump week ended very abruptly Friday morning. I don't know why Slump week happens, and I don't really understand how it ends. But it did that day, rather obviously. I just jumped out of bed feeling lighter, happy, cheerful, energetic, and ready to spend another great day with my girls. And it was a great day. I don't remember what all we did. Probably more of the usual (you know, play with the girls, clean up a little bit, get a little workout in, make some dinner for my family, take a little break to eat and watch Columbo...). But it was good. And I was glad that slump week had ended.

And now, for a couple of random pictures that I stole from Daniel:



*That beautiful face!! How did such a gorgeous creature come out of me???*

No comments:

Post a Comment