Last Saturday was the annual Ward Beach Party. But when we woke up Saturday morning, it was all cloudy, and before we were planning to leave, it started raining a ton. Daniel had gone for a bike ride early that morning, and the girls and I were just hanging out, and I put Camille down for her first nap. When Daniel got home, we were trying to decide if it would be worth going out to the beach, it being rainy. We weren't sure if anyone from the ward would actually go.
But, being the crazies that we are, we got ready really quickly after Camille woke up, and went anyway. The drive out was nice, and I was loving the cloudy weather. It didn't rain all the way there, so we were hopeful that it would be nice at the beach. Then, once we got to the park next to the beach, and we were looking for parking, it started raining really hard. I thought, "well that just figures, doesn't it? It stops raining long enough for us to drive out to the beach, and once we get here, it starts pouring down rain!" The rain didn't last too long, only about 5 minutes. Once we found a parking spot, it stopped raining, and we dragged all our stuff out to the beach where our ward was gathered. We hadn't been there 10 minutes before a lifeguard came around and told everyone to leave the beach due to lightening a few miles out. So, everyone packed up and left. We stayed for about an hour or so after everyone else was gone, walking the beach, playing in the water, making sand castles and playing at the playground. And we were not struck by lightening. We had a fun time, just with our little family and a couple of other families that stayed.
Someone got all sandy. Can you guess who? :) She loved crawling around in the sand. And Brooke and I had fun building sand castles. The sand was perfect for that, since it had rained and soaked the sand on the beach. Brooke and I got pretty sandy, too.
It kept raining throughout the rest of that day, even after we got home from the beach. Once we got back, Daniel cleaned up the girls while I went for my run. It was quite frightening, actually. It was so stormy outside, complete with lightening and thunder, and while I was out, some of the lightening struck really close to where I was. The thunder was deafening, and the lightening was bright and intense. I stopped a couple of times, trying to decide if I should go back. I really wanted to do my run, and I thought it would be fun in the rain; but I also didn't want to die. :) I decided to keep going, but to go around the neighborhood instead of on the trail. And it rained like crazy while I was out, almost the entire time. It was refreshing and exhilarating! And also a bit scary. While I was running and getting completely soaked, one guy yelled, "That's dedication!" (to which I gave a thumbs up), one guy stopped and asked if I needed a ride somewhere (to which I said no, obviously), and several people gave me funny smiles and "Hi"s (obviously thinking, "what is that girl doing? Is she insane?" Why, yes. Yes, I am.).
The rest of that day was uneventful. We had a simple dinner that Daniel prepared, I put the girls to bed early (they missed some naps), Daniel went to do a little grocery shopping, and then Daniel and I just hung out together. It was a fun family day for us!


No comments:
Post a Comment