January 29, 2010
Friday
I’m waiting for Daniel to call me. He is taking an exam right now, and after he is done, we are going up to SLC to Emily’s concert.
So far it hasn’t been too exciting a week. I have a test coming up that I haven’t studied much for; but other than that, I’ve been keeping up really well with all of my assignments in school, I’ve been working out just about every day and I’ve been reading a lot. I finished listening to Hard Times by Charles Dickens about a week ago. I listened while I ran; but it was really hard to concentrate on running and listening at the same time, so I don’t listen to books anymore. But I think I decided that Charles Dickens novels are not easy for me to follow. The language is difficult, and I get lost in it sometimes (just like in Adam Bede). But I like his stories. I remember reading A Tale of Two Cities in High School and really liking it. Maybe I just need to read more of him and familiarize myself with his writing.
Today I finished reading Nefertiti by Michelle Moran, and let me tell you: it was a sad book! I didn’t cry, but after I finished it, I just felt so hollow and sad. And Nefertiti’s story really intrigued me (because, obviously the novel was based on a real Egyptian queen), and I started looking things up on the internet about her. I found a woman who has written several books about Egypt, especially the royalty, mainly the famous rulers. I’m excited to read them once I’m done with school. I’ve always had a fascination for certain countries, and Egypt was one of them. I’d love to learn more about it.
Basically that’s all that’s consumed my life. Nefertiti, Daniel and school. But last night, there was a Relief Society meeting where we learned about sewing and I started making a jean skirt out of some old jeans. It’s going to turn out so cute! I’m excited. I haven’t gotten that far on it yet, but I’m excited to. And it was fun to eat, and talk to and meet girls from the ward I don’t know. I wasn’t planning on staying very long because I was so tired last night; but it was actually really fun and I gained energy just being there.
I joined our ward’s intramural soccer team, and we had a game on Wednesday. I had so much fun playing! I forgot how much I like playing sports sometimes. All of us there played the entire time, so we got tired. It’s lucky I’ve been running so much, or I would have been dead. As it was, I did pretty good actually. I was running hard, but I wasn’t getting too tired. Anyway, we kicked trash. I think the final score was 1-6, our win. I am SUPER-sore now, though. I ran harder than I have in a long time, and it’s taking a toll on my legs.
On Tuesday of this week, I had a quiz in my Irish dance class over the dances we have learned so far. I did pretty well I think. I don’t know, I’ll have to go back and watch the video of myself to be sure. But I’d been practicing the dances at home, and I got all of the steps right, and in the right order, which was exciting. We started learning a new dance yesterday, and it seems really cool, so far. And I’m excited to be learning a new dance. I’m having a lot of fun in my dance class, and it makes me wonder why I’ve never done dance before, in or out of school.
I’m a little frustrated with myself and with school. I feel, lately, that I haven’t been that open-minded or wise in my decisions. Of course, I think marrying Daniel was the best decision ever; but I mean as far as my studies have gone. I think there are so many more things I could’ve studied that I would’ve liked just as much (or better) than Physiology and Developmental Biology, and that would’ve provided me a career when I graduated. And it doesn’t help that I don’t really know what I WANT to do. It makes studying seem so pointless now, and it’s really hard to focus all of the time. This week, I had a really hard time focusing in class. So…we’ll see how this, my last semester of college, goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment