Our first 2 weeks of summer were spent with us being sick, so we didn't do much. I was excited to start our summer off well and get into all the activities we had listed... but, that didn't happen. We ended up canceling a lot of things because of being sick, or just missing out. We tried to go to the aquarium one day, and Brooke ended up throwing up all over the floor. 😬 It wasn't our best moment. And we left immediately. I did get to take them the next week, though, and we stayed a good while.
We did manage to cover our driveway and the sidewalks around our house with chalk! Camille also had her last track meet. We made a whole family date around it. We picked up Chic-fil-a on the way there and had a picnic on the grass. Daniel was working late that night, so it was just me and the kids. The kids played in the grass or read while we waited for Camille's events. I thought it was a fun evening, even if the kids were a bit difficult at times. And it's always fun to watch and support Camille.
This wasn't the best track season for her. She said she made more friends this year; but the boys in her group were very unkind, and she didn't like her coaches as much. Plus, she said that running seemed harder this year. 🤷🏽♀️ I'm wondering if she'll want to do it again next year. The track meets are quite long, quite a lot of waiting for just, like, 10 minutes of actual activity.
I finally got to go to a bunco night. It's been 3 months (I counted) since I've been. I missed for meetings and the month the girls were here visiting. But it was fun, and nice to hang out with friends. I played so well that night, inexplicably, that I would've won most of the prizes if we didn't spread the wealth. 😆
I planned for Sawyer's birthday party last Monday. Everyone was well for, like, a day and a half before that, and I figured we were finally past the illness. Plus, I had already postponed his party 5 days because of sickness and I didn't want to have to do that again. So we prepared all morning: ordered pizza, baked cookies and made frosting, put together gift bags, sanitized the whole house (touch points), cleaned up, picked up dog poop in the yard, unwrapped supplies, and painted targets on the fence for squirt gun play. We were just about ready... and then Brooke threw up in the yard. I was so frustrated, but "it is what it is," right? I texted all the moms to see what they wanted to do. They all opted to have the party anyway, as long as we kept it outside. I had to cancel some of our activity plans, but we went ahead. And Brooke stayed in her room the whole time (I think she was sad to miss the party, which I felt bad about. But I also didn't want to have to go through all the work again on another day). We had lunch and decorated cookies. We played musical chairs with candy prizes. We played with squirt guns and on the swings. And we opened presents. I put very little effort into this party, honestly. I have been having a really hard time feeling motivated to do much of anything the past few weeks, this was no exception. I felt a little bad that I didn't do more. But I think overall it went pretty well, and the kids had fun, so... 🤷🏽♀️ it was okay for Sawyer's first birthday party. 😊
That night, after my kids were mostly in bed, Sammy and Melanie came over to watch Fall Guy with me. We had fun! And I loved the movie! So cute!
Last week, Daniel was on a work trip in California. We missed him lots. The kids kept asking where he was, they kept forgetting that he was out of town. I had planned to have visits and meetings in the evenings while he was away. But I found it difficult to leave the kids, even in Brooke's capable hands. I just felt like I needed to be there to help them wind the day down and get to bed. The girls and I watched Daddy Daycare together over 2 of the nights, which was fun.
One afternoon, the Frei kids were here all afternoon until dinnertime. Sarah went to the temple and had asked me to watch them. They just played together all day and there were very few hiccups, most of which involved my own kids. Then the next day was Taylor's birthday party, and afterwards, we went over to the Freis house to hang out for a few hours.
We ran errands a bunch last Thursday and the kids had dentist appointments. That was the most boring day of last week.
And then we had Brian's kids over the weekend while he and Sammy and Lia went to Nevada for a funeral. I had a bit of an attitude about having them here, I hate to say, because we had to adjust our plans and cancel a bunch of plans so that they could come. And they are quite a demanding bunch, which made it hard at times. But mostly it went well. They just played with my kids and had a great time. On Saturday, we all went to Boone's baptism and then to a splash pad to play for a few hours. I'm glad we could take them to do something fun.
This week is way more slow. Plus, Brooke is gone at girls camp, so we are putting off any of our summer list activities. But the kids have had play dates with friends and cousins, we ran some errands, and I've been cleaning up the house and trying to get things done from my list. Which has been good, actually. The last few weeks have been crazy and weird. I'm ready to get into summer at last.









No comments:
Post a Comment