Friday, August 22, 2014

Brooke's Birthday

It was Brooke's 2nd Birthday today!!! And we had a fun day, for the most part. :)

When Brooke woke up, we dressed her (in a cute little birthday shirt) and got her ready, we had breakfast and opened a couple of her presents. Last night, we went to Target and got her a box of Duplos, a little plastic toy horse, and a book about trucks. She liked the horse, but seemed pretty thrilled about the blocks. All the time that we were away from home today, she asked to go home so she could play with her new blocks. It was pretty cute.

We took Daniel to work, and then she had a doctor's appointment, her 2 year check-up. She did SO well at the appointment. At her 18 month check-up, she cried almost the whole time. She hated being poked and prodded, getting shots, of course. But this time, she didn't cry at all, even when she got her one shot! I was so proud. She looked like she was just on the verge of tears once or twice during the appointment; but she never started crying, and she took the poking and prodding in stride. She was such a good girl!

Her 2 year stats are:
    
       Height -- 32 inches  (15%)
       Weight -- 24.8 lbs  (25%)
       Head circumference -- 47 cm

We had passed the duck pond on the way to the doctors, so I promised that we would go look at the ducks when we were done with her appointment. We stayed and watched the ducks and turtles for a while, and then went to Barnes and Noble. She got a coupon for a free cupcake or cookie for her birthday. She's part of the Kids' Club. :) She chose a chocolate cupcake, but couldn't finish the whole thing. Then, it was about time for us to have lunch, so we stopped at Baja Fresh for me and Chick Fil'A for Brooke, and took it home. We had lunch and then played with her blocks for about 15 minutes before bed.

While she was taking a nap, I cleaned up the kitchen and then messed it up again making a cake for her. When we talked last week about when she wanted to eat for dinner and what kind of cake she wanted, I gave a few options, and she fixated on a banana blueberry cake. Chloe has a recipe for a banana blueberry cake with lemon frosting. So I made her that one. And it was delicious! Chloe is my favorite! (Chloe Coscarelli, vegan chef) I also watched tv while I waited for the layers to bake, etc.

Brooke didn't take a great nap. She woke up every 30 or 40 minutes, and slept for less than an hour and a half, which isn't normal or good. It must've been too exciting a day for her to handle. :) We played for a little while, and then went to the Garrison's house. Denae had invited us over to play for a little bit. Brooke has so much fun with their boys, so I thought it was a perfect little activity for her birthday. We stayed for about an hour or so, and then we went to pick up Daniel a little early from work, to do a little more celebrating.

We came home, made some dinner and finished the cake, and had dinner. Brooke's request was hotdogs and french fries. I added in fresh corn and honeydew melon for a little health. She was more interested in the honeydew than anything else, funnily enough. She is kind of in a "fruit-only" phase right now. She's been turning down food that she normally loves, and will gobble up fruit of almost any kind. Anyway, sang to her and had cake, she opened her last present (the book), and then, after reading the new book for a while, we watched 20 minutes of "Finding Nemo". We didn't let Brooke watch tv at home at all (that's not to say that she didn't see tv EVERYWHERE ELSE) for the first 2 years of her life, so today was kind of a big day in that she got to watch something with us. She only lasted for about 15 minutes of the movie, and she talked for almost the entire time. But we had fun with it!

It was a fun day! She loved the birthday song. I sang it several times all day. I was more excited in anticipating her birthday than she was; but I think she had a pretty good day. It was fun to be able to spoil her a little bit. With this baby (and hopefully more babies) coming, we'll have more kids to think about, so we won't be able to do as much for birthdays, probably. I'm glad that I could do one year for her, where it was all about her, and I don't have to think about my other kids. (I mean we did have last year, but she understood more of what was going on this year, being older and whatnot).
A new outfit from Gramma F. She wore this a couple of days ago and looked real cute. :)
Eating her free cupcake at Barnes and Noble
Wearing her birthday shirt and holding her new toy horse

No comments:

Post a Comment