Thursday, May 22, 2014

"Cool"

Tuesday night I went out with the missionaries. We visited a Hispanic family, but didn't actually teach the lesson. The Sisters wanted Spanish-speaking missionaries to come teach them, because their English was not so good. We tried visiting a few less-active sisters in the ward, but weren't very successful. I feel kind of bad; every time I go out with the missionaries, something like that happens. And I always drop them off at home feeling guilty that I am not doing more to help and sharing the Gospel with people around me.

Anyway, I went to the church to practice the organ for a little bit. I'm playing in Sacrament meeting on Sunday and in the Spanish Branch after our ward meets. Normally I don't get a chance to practice, but I really should. I'm still learning the organ, and I need the practice. There've been a few times when I get up to play (without having practiced) and I make some monumental mistake that is really embarrassing.

Yesterday, Brooke and I took the car. We had some anniversary shopping to do. I bought Daniel a little something for today's 5 Days of Anniversary. And I also bought him a bouquet of 5 different kinds of flowers, for yesterday. Brooke and I dropped them off at his office. Mostly to embarrass him in front of his co-workers, although I am not sure that really happened. I also got some workout pants (much needed, in my opinion; I always wear the same pants to work out, and I only have that one pair) and Brookie got some sunglasses. She's not quite got the concept of wearing them, though. :) But she looks pretty cute when she leaves them on. I'll have to get a picture.

I have noticed that Brooke has learned the word "cool". She says it occasionally about things she likes. It's so cute! I love it. She also has a new obsession with buses and trucks. Whenever we are on the road, she looks for them, and when she sees one, she points it out. She gets pretty excited about them too. She seems to be getting into animals a lot more. We have some books that have different kinds of animals in them. She loves looking in those books, and she can say the names of many animals, and even make some of their noises. She does have her favorites, though: horses and monkeys. She likes to skip to the pages that show those animals. It's so funny how excited she gets, and that she already has a favorite (or 2) animal(s). I think it's about time to take her to the L.A. Zoo. Or a petting zoo. I think she would love that.

On a less positive note, she has also discovered the great toddler joy of throwing tantrums. And she throws them, every time we say "no" or "not now" (which is becoming a more and more frequent occurrence). I love her, so much. But she sure is coming to that age. And I'm such a newbie at parenting that I'm not exactly sure how to handle it. I sure do make my share of mistakes.

Anyway, Brooke and I went on a little Visiting Teaching visit to see Siv Flick. She watches her grandsons sometimes, Thor (3) and Olk (4 months). Thor is a pretty wild and crazy kid. He is in primary now; but when he was in nursery, he used to terrorize the littler kids. But he was so sweet and gentle and kind with Brooke when we went yesterday. He shared his toy cars with her and showed her the fish. It was so cute to watch. Most kids are like that with Brooke. I don't know what it is about her; but they all feel the need to take her by the hand and help her and show her things and play with her. It's pretty fun.

My visits with Siv are good. I think she really enjoys having visiting teachers come. She always mentions to me how it's nice to have teachers that actually come visit. Our ward, for some reason, is really not on the ball in that department. I really enjoy doing my visiting teaching (for the most part) and I love having VTers come visit me. So I don't quite understand the lack of motivation and enthusiasm for our RS sisters. I guess as life gets more crazy, I might feel differently about it.

Brooke and I did some cleaning up together this morning after breakfast. And then she colored for a while and threw all the crayons and markers on the floor (fun). We went to the park for a little bit. It's been nice and cool lately, so we have to take advantage and go to the park before it gets hot again. But the park was a barren wasteland today; no kids. So, Brooke got bored quickly, and I tried to play with her to make it fun, which only lasted a while (on her part; not on mine. I could've kept playing with her; but I'm Mom, so I'm not quite as much fun to play with as kids her age). It seems we need to have another kid; this one needs a playmate. And she is in luck! Because she'll have a built-in playmate in just 5 months. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment