Sunday, February 26, 2023

Sunday Notes

Sunday notes from Sunday school lesson in January: 

  • Read 4 gospels quickly, then Jesus the Christ (skip first 60 pp); then the 4 gospels quick again
  • Read Bible dictionary for each book in New testament

 2/5/23

  • Sacrament hymn scripture D&C 45:5 "Wherefore, Father, spare these my brethren that believe on my name, that they may come unto me and have everlasting life." I believe. I believe in Jesus Christ. I believe that He lives. I believe that He's my Savior and that He died to save me. I believe He loves me and wants what's best for me. 
  • A thought I had before church, as I was listening to a talk about preparing for the second coming: strengthening myself spiritually, through DAILY scripture study and DAILY prayer, through seeking revelation, through family prayer, scripture study, and family home evening, through going to the temple regularly, through faithfully serving in the church in my calling, through fasting and serving -- is more important than anything else I do every day. Preparing myself spiritually and preparing my family for the second coming is the most important work I do. Talk: Preparing for the Second Coming, April 2004, Elder Oaks
  • From the talk "Beauty for Ashes" Sister Kristin M. Yee, October 2022 Conference: "Kevin J Worthen, president of BYU, has said that God “can make good come … not just from our successes but also from our failures and the failures of others that cause us pain. God is that good and that powerful.”" I love this thought. "The Lord loves effort." My efforts don't always have to be perfect. God can work through my imperfect efforts to accomplish His work. 
2/12/23
  • Need to pray for clarity in my calling, that I might see the youth as heavenly father sees them, that I will know what to focus on and how the youth program now works
  • The point of earth life is progressing towards God. Becoming closer to the Spirit, becoming more like Jesus, acting more on revelation. How am I doing on my upward spiral to God??
  • I listened to a BYU devotional this morning and loved this quote: "But you can sail on, King Benjamin said, if you will be childlike, “submissive, meek, humble, [and] full of love.” I think the only commentary needed for this verse might be regarding the line suggesting God “inflicts” trials and burdens upon us. In English, the word inflict, which comes from the Latin infligere, has at least two meanings. One is “to strike or dash against” and another is “to beat down,” but those definitions are not applicable to God or His angels. No, the proper definition of the word as King Benjamin used it is to allow “something that must be borne or suffered.” Now allowing something is a different matter! God can and will do that if it is ultimately for our good. I am going to say it again: God does not now nor will He ever do to you a destructive, malicious, unfair thing—ever. It is not in what Peter called “the divine nature” to even be able to do so. By definition and in fact, God is perfectly and thoroughly, always and forever good, and everything He does is for our good. I promise you that God does not lie awake nights trying to figure out ways to disappoint us or harm us or crush our dreams or our faith." Taken from Elder Jeffrey R. Holland's talk at BYU entitled “A Saint Through the Atonement of Christ the Lord” January 18, 2022
2/19/23
  • “Sometimes when we are asked to be obedient, we do not know why, except the Lord has commanded." -Marvin J Ashton
  • God gave me things to enjoy because He loves me: the beauties of nature; when the mountains turn pink; the stars at night; fireflies; beautiful sunrises and sunsets; wonderful friends, who love me for who I am; my children, who I enjoy immensely; my amazing husband, who is so handsome and good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment