Monday, August 29, 2022

Starting School

Grampa Holbrook invited us to do a backyard campout at his house last Monday, because he had it all set up after his camping trip. So we rearranged our plans for that evening and did a camping night with them. We built a fire and roasted hotdogs and marshmallows and ate fruit and veggies from Gramma's garden. We had a little family home evening lesson altogether, and got the kids to bed and went to bed. Daniel, Brooke and I stayed up a little bit to look at the stars.


I think the kids had a hard time sleeping. I know I did. It was rough sleeping on the ground. I must be getting old.

The next day we started school. I woke the kids up with time to get dressed and have a little cereal before we drove back home. It was kind of a crazy was to start our school year, but I didn't want to miss out on an opportunity to do something fun with Gramma and Grampa Holbrook and just us. It's important to me that my kids spend time with their grandparents and create relationships and bond as a family. 

We had our back to school dinner that night after we'd started our school year. I did really simple decorations and a simple dinner (chicken ravioli and some kind of veggie). Our theme for this school year is "We Do Our Best". Last year, I noticed the girls cutting corners on their school work and not giving their best effort. So we had a chat about what it means to do our best and how it's so important to give our best effort in anything we do throughout all of life. 

That first week of school went really well with the girls. I could tell they were really stepping up on their school work. And they were so excited to be starting a new school year with new books and all. Because of the busyness of those first few days, with camping at Grampa's house, starting school, back to school night for Jack and meeting Jack's teacher on Wednesday, among other things, we didn't start history until Thursday. And then, of course, we didn't do school on Friday. 


The girls are continuing their art and piano lessons this school year as part of our schedule with My Tech High. And Camille is still doing gymnastics. 

I decided to start reading the 1st Harry Potter book with the girls on Thursday after the start of school. Camille is not quite 8; but she's almost there, and it really is so fun to start reading Harry Potter at the beginning of the school year! She was SO excited. And Brooke and I were so happy to be able to start it with her. 

Friday, we had a little field trip to the aquarium, which was fun. Jack begged me the whole time to go see the sharks. We're in this new shark loving stage, apparently, and I'm glad to see him take an interest in something other than cars and trucks. 😂 He draws sharks and has asked for shark coloring pages and wants to read books and watch videos about sharks. It's cute, how into stuff he gets. 




Saturday morning I went roller blading for my workout, which was fun, but resulted in me being sore in really random places. I ran some errands with DeAnna later, mainly for Brooke's birthday stuff. And it was fun to have a buddy to run errands with! We got swig on the way home. 😊

Jack started school on Wednesday of our 2nd week of school. He was SO excited. There's just a lot of excitement running through our house lately. We all (except for Brooke ... she's at that age where she wants to stay home by herself all the time. And now that she's 10, I've been letting her stay home by herself) got in the car and took Jack to school for his first day. Camille really enjoyed telling him things about kindergarten for the few weeks before he started, and she walked him over to the playground. He just seems too tiny to be in school, and it hurt my poor mommy heart. He was hardly nervous at all, though, and really wanted to start. He loved his backpack and new school clothes and just felt ready to go. 

He didn't do great at his little pre-k assessment, but I didn't really expect him to. I mean, I didn't really do any preschool with him. The girls tried to teach him and letters, but it wasn't consistent enough.





Anyway, we dropped him off at the playground, and he didn't seem to know quite what to do. So he just ran around in circles. 😂😂 It cracked Daniel and I up. It was so funny. We left the playground, but then when the bell rang, he didn't seem to know what to do. So I went back in there to help him find his class line. Little cutie. I have such mixed feelings about sending him to kindergarten. 

I picked him up from that first day, and he had had such a great day! The next day, he rode the bus to and from school, and he was so excited to ride the bus. It kinda broke my heart sending him on the bus, though with all those big kids. He chose a seat way in the back, and I was just hoping and praying that all the kids were nice to him. 😥 I missed the bus picking him up, though. The bus was SUPER early, and even though I was 5 minutes early to the stop, they were rolling away just as I was walking up. I drove out to the school (thinking they'd bring him back), while the bus drove around the neighborhood a couple times waiting for me. It was very frustrating. But Jack was so so brave. He did cry or anything, and he seemed to just bounce off the bus when they brought him back to the school. The girls were really nervous about it, but I knew we'd get him just fine, and he seemed to handle it really well. My sweet little man.

Jack and I are in a pretty good place right now. He's just been so cute and excited about everything and happy almost all the time lately. I love it. And I can't get over his cuteness.

So. Jack's first week (half week, really) of school went well. He's loved it. He hasn't made any friends yet, but I have no doubt he will. Sometimes it takes time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment