Monday, September 7, 2020

Danger and Turmoil

 There's a line in my patriarchal blessing that says, "We are entering a time of extreme danger and turmoil in the earth." I have never felt this statement so strongly as I have this year. It's been a year full of danger and turmoil for many people, most people, I would say. The hit of the coronavirus is just one of many things that have happened. Much of the turmoil stems from the coronavirus itself -- things like people losing jobs, the downturn of the economy, and the upturn of child sex trafficking. 

But aside from these things and others related to coronavirus, there's so much political turmoil. The election is happening in 2 months, and the conflict is more than I've experienced in any other election. Both sides are fighting hard and lying and creating bad feelings. 

Back in May, there was an incident with the police brutally killing a black man named George Floyd. Since then, the country has been in uproar. Cries of racism being flung in all directions, and at all people. The activist movement Black Lives Matter has had meetings and protests. People have been rioting and looting in the streets, destroying property, stealing, hurting people (especially the police) and, in short, causing mayhem. They've torn down statues of our founding fathers and other prominent historical people who "supported slavery" and were therefore bad people. I watched some of the videos that people took of the protests in Portland, Oregon and in DC, and it looked like a war zone. I literally started crying, watching the state of our country.

There has been a breakout in fires this summer as well, as there usually is. It feels worse this year, though. None of the fires have gotten too close to us. But I've had friends evacuated. 

It just feels like this year has been hard for everyone, and that things are really heating up. It feels like a prime time for the second coming. It's felt that way all year. And part of me wonders if it'll ever stop feeling that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment