Monday, November 12, 2018

Thanksgiving Tree

It's hard to believe that we're already mid-way through November! This year has flown by! It's finally starting to feel like fall. The weather has gotten chilly (for California) and we've been bundling up in sweaters for the last week.

Last week, for Family Home Evening (which we didn't have until Wednesday, because we tried to wait for Daniel, and it didn't really work out) we had a lesson gratitude, and I told the Bible story about when Jesus healed the 10 lepers, and the one came back to say thank you. And we are doing something new this year for Thanksgiving. I drew a tree on the back of a big piece of wrapping paper, and taped it up on our door. And each day until Thanksgiving, we are writing one thing that we are each thankful for on a little paper leaf, and taping it on our tree. And hopefully by Thanksgiving, our tree will be colorful and bushy and beautiful, and we'll have thought about many, many things that we are grateful for. I'm hoping we'll be able to make this into a yearly tradition, but we'll see how we feel about it this year. So far, I'm loving it! And the girls love it, too. Brooke reminds us every night that we need to write on our leaves and put them up. It's so cute.


Also, on Wednesday, I made a couple of batches of rice crispy - type treats. Scotcheroos and Rice Crispy Treats. I'm trying to use up everything we have in food storage before we have to move (which will inevitably happen within the next few months, it seems. I'm therefore trying to use up the things we have in the house and not add to any of our storage), and we had this huge box of rice crispies in the closet. But, of course, I made these treats, thinking it'd be no big thing. And then ended up eating most of them. Apparently, I've forgotten how much I like Scotcheroos and Rice Crispy Treats! I made dinner for a family in our ward that day, and fortunately, I could take about half of the treats to them.

We went to the park after school one day last week. I asked the girls to clean up the loft and their bedroom before we went to the park. It took them over an hour, haha! But they were glad when they could play at the park.

Saturday was busy. I got up early and went to the temple, which was nice. And I got home and Daniel was deep cleaning the downstairs. I hung out with the family, played piano when they all left to go to the park, played piano at a baptism in the late afternoon (which we all went to together), and then came home, and got some Thanksgiving food in the oven. While it was baking, I went and laid down in bed, and watched as each member of my family slowly, and one by one, came and got in bed with me. We hung out in bed for like an hour, the kids coming and going, hanging around, jumping in and out of bed. It was fun!

We went to the ward Thanksgiving dinner that night, and we had fun. Jack would NOT stay still at all! Daniel and I took turns walking around the church building with him. And a bunch of kids all swarmed around him, watching him and playing with him. They thought he was so funny and cute. Which ... he is.

It seems last week was slightly busy, and slightly boring. We did stuff, but nothing too exciting.

But, as we speak, the girls have shut themselves up in their room, playing "Indians", which basically consists of them taking off their clothes, and taking smallish pieces of fabric to create loin-cloths and other indian-type apparel. Camille came downstairs to ask for another piece of fabric, and I about died! It's so cute and funny when they play make-believe like this. Lately, they've really enjoyed playing together, which I love. And I find it amusing that they go into their room and shut the door and play there for hours at a time together. It's kind of a new thing, this shutting themselves up in their room thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment