Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Happiness is a Choice

I recently finished reading Happiness is a Serious Problem by Dennis Prager. We are reading it for my book club, on my recommendation, and I think it was a very good choice. I hope everyone else thinks that, too. He has some very good and wise things to say about life, psychology, and happiness, and the kinds of things we must do and not do to help us be happy. I really loved it! And I discovered things about myself, and things that I could probably do (and stop doing) to help me be a happier person.

One of his overarching ideas is that happiness is a choice, and also that our feelings don't really matter that much; it's our behavior that matters. Even when we feel unhappy, we should still act as pleasantly and cheerfully as we can. It's something that affects everyone around us, how pleasant and happy we act.

Wonderful book. Such truth in that one thought. And I've been trying to be a more cheerful and happy mother to my children. I'm not always successful, but I think I've been doing well, for the most part. It is still hard to hide my frustration, sometimes. Something I still need to sort out. But I've also noticed that since I've started acting more cheerful, I actually feel more cheerful, as well! It's like people say, "Fake it til you make it!" I think even faking it sometimes helps it become more real.

ANYWAY... January was a good month. We did some fun things, got back into a somewhat normal routine (normal tends to look a little bit different every day, ... especially since Camille has stopped napping). Nothing big in particular is worth really sharing. But there are a few little things:
  • One day, after Camille got out of the bath, she examines her fingers and say, "They're squishy." and proceeds to squeeze each fingertip. She kept saying that and doing it over and over, and then she told me to "squish them". Which I did, of course. It was too cute. 
  • Camille has been saying such "grownup" things lately. One of my favorites is "zeggsactly" (exactly). I guess I must have been saying it a lot, because she picked up on it and says, "Zeggsactly!" all of the time.
  • I went to the temple at the end of January, which was really nice. It's been so long since I've gone to the temple, it was much needed. I'm hoping to go each month until this baby comes. Because after he comes, it'll be a while again. And I need the peace and strength right now! Preparing for another baby to come to us!
  • So, Camille hasn't been napping, right? So, one day, after "naps" and quiet-time, the girls wanted to watch a movie, and Brooke chose Mulan. The three of us sat down to watch Mulan, and it's usually Brooke, on the inside corner of the couch, me sitting next to her, and Camille next to me, snuggled up in the crook of my arm (a really lovely arrangement, really. I love them cuddles). And I'm exhausted, of course, so I fall asleep rather soon; kind of in that in-between kind of sleep, you know? But after a while, I feel little Camille next to me, totally nodding off! She's falling asleep, too! Right next to me! And I think, "Yup. She still needs naps. Even though she won't sleep!"
  • I cleaned out all the toys and got rid of a ton of toys and books, and put the baby toys up until this little baby boy needs them. So I brought out a lot of stuff that's been in the closet a long time. And it was just like Christmas for the girls! They came out in the morning and discovered all these long-lost toys, and they had a ball with them! Camille especially loves all of the puzzles I pulled out, and she loves doing them with me. And Brooke likes all the dolls and stuffed animals that we rediscovered. It's been kind of fun. I still feel like we have too many toys. But at least now, they're basically all out to play with, and we don't have boxes and bags hiding in closets (aside from the baby one). And next time I decide to de-junk, there'll be a lot less to go through, and hopefully decisions will be a bit easier.
  • I did an FHE lesson about how we can be like Jesus, and it was a big success. For both girls, much to my surprise and delight. I showed different pictures of Jesus and pointed out the things that He was doing, and asked how we could be like Him. They loved it!
  • I finished going through and editing our 2016 pictures and videos! It's so nice to get big projects and goals like that done! Now I have some Valentine's Day pillows and bathroom towels to work on.
  • One of my favorite things lately about being a mother is the following situation: the girls are sitting on the couch, watching a movie, and I am either sitting with them or doing a little cleaning around the house. And all of a sudden, out of nowhere, Camille starts up with this adorable little belly-laugh. She's laughing at whatever thing she's watching that she thinks is just hilarious, and it is so cute! Brooke rarely laughs at things she's watching; she's more of a zombie. But Camille does, and I love it!
Well, I better go get ready for the day and for preschool. I'm teaching today, and I think I'm going to take the kids on a little field trip today. Get some donuts, or something. I hope it's fun!


*Brooke really wanted to make Fruit-kabobs (or what she called "fruit-sticks"). And I couldn't say no. It was really fun being in the kitchen with her that day, making them.*


*Even on the days when I do her hair, it always manages to end up looking like this. I don't know.*


*Brooke's reading to Elsa. I thought that was really cute.*


 *One day last week, I got pretty sick. I even ended up throwing up once at the end of the day. But sometime during the day, I laid down to rest, and Camille came in wanting to play with me. I explained to her that I wasn't feeling good and was going to rest a little. So she pulled up a stool, brought over some blocks, and played next to me while I was laying down. Such a cutie! She just wanted to be with her mom, even when her mom couldn't really play. She is just such a sweet little thing.*
 

No comments:

Post a Comment