Last Tuesday, April 25th, the girls and I met Megan and Turner at the park for a little playtime. It was a fairly cloudy day when we set out, and I looked up at the sky on our way to the park, wondering if I should be worried about it. But ... this is California, and it doesn't rain much. Even sometimes when it is forecast to rain, it doesn't rain. So we went anyway and had a good time with our friends.
Well, Megan and Turner headed home before we were ready to go, but by then it had started sprinkling a little bit. I told the girls that if it started raining any harder, we would head home. A few minutes later, it started raining harder, so we were getting ready to head out. And all of a sudden, out of nowhere, it started hailing like crazy! It started slow and small, but the hail got bigger and started coming down really fast and hard. We took refuge under the gazebo with some other people who were at the park, while Brooke put her shoes on. The hail didn't last too long, only about 5 minutes or less, and when it let up a little, we decided to make a break for it. It was still raining quite a bit, and we were getting wet, running out of the park and trying to get home. And then ... right about when we hit the light to cross, it started hailing like crazy again! Brooke started crying and screaming. It was coming down really hard, and it hurt quite a bit. She kept saying they were pokey things and that they hurt. It was quite the adventure!
Two ladies pulled their cars over to the side once they were through the light and asked us if we needed a ride somewhere. I kept telling them that we just live right across the street, but they insisted on holding an umbrella over us while we got into one of their cars. She took us home, even though we were so close. It was very nice of her, and I was grateful. Brooke was fairly traumatized; she couldn't stop talking about the "pokey things". She didn't like it much at all. But I thought it was such a funny situation to be stuck in. Camille was covered up and bundled up in the stroller, so she didn't have any kind of reaction.
I put them in a warm bath when we got home, and they felt better after that.
Brooke has been playing doctor a lot lately. We have some doctor's toys, and she puts the little stethascope on and checks everyone up. The other day when I went in to get her from quiet time, I watched her giving Dolly a checkup for a few minutes. And just a couple of days ago, I had a checkup for a while. Actually, we took turns giving each other checkups. And she gave Camille one as well. It was just too cute. The first time she checked me up, she asked, "Mom, where is your heart?" I showed her where it was, and she put the stethoscope over it. Then she said, "Mom, I can hear your heart humping!" I couldn't help cracking up, it was SO funny!
Brooke and I have been working on memorizing the Articles of Faith. She has memorized the first 2 Articles. The first one, she took a while getting down smoothly. I think it just took her a while to understand what it was we were doing, because when we started the second one, I was super surprised with how fast she learned it. She's a pretty smart little thing! Anyway, she's passed the first 2 off with Sister Bulkley, our Primary President, so we are going to start working on the 3rd one.
Camille has started learning a bunch of new words: Mom and Dad, of course; and I think she's been working on "Brooke"; Jesus; water; train/plane (can't really tell. She says the same thing for both...); bubbles, she says really well. She's so cute, trying to mimic the sounds we make.
She's also gotten pretty silly. She gets in these moods where she'll run and jump around, pause and start giggling to herself, and then start running and jumping again. Or she'll catch my eye, or Brooke's eye and start giggling and being silly. She's pretty cute.
I've started training for another half marathon. I wanted to train for something before we get pregnant again, but a 10K seemed too easy... I could probably run a 10k without too much trouble this weekend. So, there's this half race Father's Day weekend, on a Saturday, right here in Santa Clarita, not too expensive. I think I'm going to sign up for it, which gives me about 2 months to train for it. I'm a little nervous that I won't be ready in time, but even if it's hard and I have to take it slow, I still think I want to do it. Last week I started a new training schedule that Heather is running with me, more or less. I don't think she'll run the race with me, but she's going to train with me, which is very nice of her. It's so much nicer and easier when I am running with her.
No comments:
Post a Comment