Thursday, February 4, 2016

Mommy Preschool

So, we are on DAY 4! of potty training. This is how it's gone: Day 1 -- one little tiny accident, during her quiet time, when I wasn't monitoring as much; Day 2 -- two slightly bigger accidents, one upstairs on the carpet, and one downstairs, right in front of the bathroom (both times, she was on her way to the bathroom, and I guess just couldn't hold it); Day 3 -- one slight accident (almost pooped in her pants, but we got her on the toilet before it got really bad) in the morning, and then success for the rest of the day -- and we even went out for about an hour in the late afternoon; Day 4 -- successful so far...

I try to stay on top of her, reminding her to go to the bathroom frequently. On the first day, it felt like too much. I set a timer to go off every 15 or 20 minutes to take her, and she often couldn't let anything out, and on the times she did, it was very little. So, the 2nd day, I didn't set a timer at all, and just tried to remind her every now and then, but -- we had 2 accidents. Now, I don't set a timer, but I have her go frequently anyway. I think it's going pretty well, though! And I'm really proud of her.

She does this cute little thing when she's in the bathroom. After she's done her business, and she's finishing up (flushing, getting her clothes back on, washing hands), she sings about what she's doing. "I finished going potty, and I have to remember to flush. I'm washing my hands and then I'm going to dry." All in a sing-song voice, with a little tune (probably one she knows, from another song). This morning, she started singing "Frosty the Snowman", and then it morphed into one of her made-up songs, narrating her actions. It makes me laugh. She's so cute.

All-in-all, it's been a very exciting week so far. Aside from Brooke's potty training, Camille's been walking like a champ! I think she's loving her new-found mobility and freedom. Also, yesterday, I started Mommy School with my friends. Allison Leishman, Emilee Mapp, and Denae Garrison and I are doing a Joy School with all our little kids that are the same age: Lucy, Daisey, Tad, and Brooke. I offered to take the first day, yesterday, and it was pretty fun. I prepared the night before to teach 'A' and about Arctic Animals. I printed off coloring sheets, 'A' tracing and practicing pages, and other things. When the kids all came, I started them off coloring while they all arrived and while I finished preparing. I did a quick story time, did my spiel about Arctic animals, and then took them to the table to learn about 'A'. Daisey didn't hardly participate at all; Tad was the most attentive, with Brooke following closely behind him; and Blake (I invited Blake to come be with us, even though Nicole isn't going to be put into the rotation) and Lucy were somewhere in between those extremes. When I was done with what I prepared, I gave them a snack, and let them go play. We all had a good time! I loved watching them play and learn, and Brooke just had the time of her life with her little friends.

The ladies and I are rotating weeks, so I won't have to do it again for another 3 weeks. It'll be nice for Brooke to have a little more structured learning and a break from the usual. Besides, she loves being with her friends.

We also had little Jonesy come over while his mom had a doc appointment. He came just before all the other kids were leaving. So I put Camille to bed and let him and Brooke watch a little tv while she slept.

Last evening, after the rest of the day (which was rather uneventful), the girls and I went to pick up pizza for dinner and a movie (for me to watch after the girls went to bed). Denae and her boys joined us for pizza, oranges and salad for dinner, while our husbands were busy working late. It was fun! Brooke was so excited about pizza and Tad coming over again, she couldn't stop bugging me about it. :)

I watched Far From the Madding Crowd after they left and the girls were in bed. The house was a little messy, I didn't clean up or anything. It was kind of a busy day for me, and I just wanted to be a little lazy, so I just sat and watched my movie. It was good! They followed the book better than I thought they would, but, as always, the book is much better. I finished listening to it a few weeks ago, and I really loved it. I've been getting through lots of books that way, listening to them. And it's been really nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment