Monday, September 29, 2025

Pirates

 My kids did something adorable today. We didn't do school today, because the school district had this day off from school. And we usually follow the school schedule. Camille went to this really cool 5th grade field trip for homeschoolers with Annie Norris called Biztown, where they pretend to be grownups and have grownup jobs, where they get paid, and they go shopping and have bank accounts... Anyway. She had a great time. The rest of the kids mostly played all day. And I did mommy time with Brooke and Sawyer. 

But after Camille came home, and after my mommy time with Brooke, the kids played "pirates" together. They sat down and made treasure maps together, and they dressed in some piratey clothes (mostly bandanas around their heads and swords made out of sticks at their waists), and they put the "Pirates of the Caribbean" soundtrack on outside. They pretended that the deck was a pirate ship, and they acted like the crew with Jack as the captain. They danced out on the lawn, swinging their swords in pretend fighting and fell down like they were dead. It was the cutest pretend play I've seen them do in a long while. I loved it. I wish I'd gotten a picture to share here. But we took videos. 

Other notable things today: 

  • I went mountain biking with some friends today. It was invigorating and scary and fun. And the leaves are changing, so it was so pretty in the hills today. 
  • Having a day off of school was so great. I love slow days. I'm really feeling a pull lately to live a simpler life. 
  • I'm taking a break this week from audiobooks and TV shows, in preparation for general conference this weekend. I already feel a difference just from today. I'm less distracted and irritable with my kids. I have less "buzz" in my head and I felt more peace. I may need to take these breaks more often. I may extend the break for another week or 2 afterwards. And I may need to include social media to my break. It's also making me think that I should do my reading goal a little differently next year, and have a number to STAY UNDER. Meaning, I can't read more than the number of books I've set as my goal. I think I will. 😊
  • President Nelson passed away a couple of nights ago, and I cried when I found out. I was assigned to do the spiritual thought for ward council this past Sunday, and on Saturday night, I prayed about what I should speak about. The thought came immediately to mind, "Share a quote from President Nelson." And I thought, "In preparation for general conference! What a great idea! Thanks!" And I went happily to bed. The next morning, I saw in my family's text thread a text from Drew that President Nelson had passed away that night. And I cried. But also thought, how cool of a prompting I got in my prayer the night before, undoubtedly from God through the Holy Ghost. How appropriate a message to share a quote from President Nelson. Just a good reminder that I needed, that Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers, that He's aware of us and loves us. Just another love note from Father in Heaven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment