Something kind of funny happened last Sunday. I was asked to speak in Sacrament meeting, with the topic "being a disciple of Jesus Christ enables a Christ-centerer home". I'm never super anxious-excited to speak in church, but I'm always willing. This topic was a little hard to sink my teeth into at first. But I spent a few days thinking about it, listening to conference talks from the last General Conference, and praying about it. I was also in the midst of planning and preparing for girls camp, while also trying to get ready for school to start and finish cleaning up my house. It was a busy week. But I had some good ideas for my talk and wrote a semi-decent talk with plenty of time to deliver it on Sunday.
I was set to speak with Hailey Caswell, who just got back from her mission in North Carolina. And her little brother, Gideon, was going to be the youth speaker. So there were 3 of us speaking, I was going to speak last, and I was told I'd have 8-10 minutes.
Well, during the meeting, I found out there were also 2 musical numbers. But I told myself that it'd all be fine, that sometimes things go more quickly than you think.
Then there was some trouble with the sacrament, and they had to bless more bread and water. After that, the program went without a hitch. Gideon and Hailey both gave such good talks, and it was fun to hear about Hailey's mission. But time ran out. And I was trying to do a little mental planning while I watched the time run down, trying to decide what I should do. I got some texts from members of our Bishopric telling me to just bear my testimony, that I only had 2 minutes, which was actually really nice. It took the guesswork out for me. 😅
I got up and bore a simple testimony and ugly cried on the stand, which is always embarrassing. And that was it. I had people come up to me and thank me and praise me for my testimony, and the whole Bishopric apologized profusely about the whole thing, that they had planned badly and that I hadn't been able to give the talk I'd prepared. I kept telling them it was totally fine, that I didn't mind at all. They asked if I'd still be willing to give my talk, and I said of course.
A few days later, after I'd got back from girls camp, I was checking my emails and came across an email from some I didn't know. This is what he wrote:
Dear Sister Holbrook,
I am a close friend of the Caswell’s and was visiting Sunday to hear Sister Caswell speak following her release from her mission. Just as you commented, what an incredible meeting it was!. This was such a monumental moment in her life… one that almost all faithful missionaries look forward to. Being able to share something so deeply special to them. And some really like and need to share. But I know you know all of that.😉
I felt to reach out to you to say thank you. When time was going long, I was uplifted by my observation of your calm, peaceful, and happy demeanor. Your countenance shined with genuine pleasure at all that was happening before you; especially with Haylee.
With each passing minute, I could see your sense and understanding of quickly becoming the accordion the Lord needed you to be as time was running out. It has always been interesting to me to see how individuals respond to these important moments. I feel the Lord often gives these opportunities and challenges to the spiritually mature and astute.
I could see the spirit working on your heart and mind as you sat earnestly preparing what the Lord would have you do. You didn’t look down at any notes or the excellent gospel message that I’m sure you had spent a lot of time preparing. Your were aware of the time and when the meeting needed to end and yet your eyes stayed fixed with sensitive attention to Sister Caswell’s message.
Then, you stood up, and with the grace of Christ you did precisely what one of His faithful disciples would do in that moment; testify! Oh, the importance of pure testimony! I want you to know that the spirit was palpable in those few short moments that you stood with humble power. I was deeply moved by your witness of the Lord and your unmistakable love for Him and His priorities.
As I sat there enjoying what I was feeling, I had the distinct impression to reach out to you and thank you for what I had observed in you and how I felt in this precious moment that I know others recognized and felt as well. I then had the thought, “How could I describe to Sister Holbrook in just a couple of words what she accomplished in such a brief and tender moment?” Well it is this. What you did for the Pilgrims Landing 3rd Ward and those that visited that day was at the end of an already incredible meetings was nothing short of a spiritual crescendo!
Sister Holbrook, I am certain that you pleased the Lord on His Holy Sabbath and during His sacred memorial as you approached the pulpit with sensitivity, humility, love, grace, and power. As your brother in the Lord, you have a fan that is cheering you on in the way your represent yourself as a daughter of God.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you for being in tune with the Spirit of the Lord and responding magnificently! I hope never to forget the precious moment you and the Lord gave us.
Sincerely, your friend,
Jason Taufer
It was so nice! I couldn't believe someone took note enough of my part in that sacrament meeting to write to me. I wanted to save it, just to remind myself that I had acted well in this instance, and to remind me to act well in future. I also wanted to remember that the Spirit had helped and influenced me not to be nervous, and to be able to just go with the flow. I did feel the influence of the Holy Ghost, helping me to be calm and know that things would work out well. It was a really cool experience, and one that I may not have given a second thought, had it not been for Brother Taufer's email.
No comments:
Post a Comment