Man, this week was a busy one! But boy, oh, boy has this weekend been fun! Mom is here, mainly to work on getting Grampa's house cleaned up so they can wrap up his estate. But on Friday, the kids and I drove out to Woodland Hills to pick her up. We had dental appointments that afternoon after Brooke got home from school for the whole family. All 5 of us trooped into this new dental office for appointments, and we all took turns going back. They did quick appointments with the kids; they took xrays of Brooke's mouth, but not the littlers. And Jack only let them look in his mouth for about 10 seconds. But they gave each of the kids a little monkey backpack with stuff in it, and they let them pick out a special toy. Daniel and I also got little "welcome to our office" gifts. We were impressed with this office, with how quick they were getting us back, with how patient and kind they were with us, and with how accommodating they were for us. Daniel went back with Brooke and said that he got to see her xrays, and that they could see all these adult teeth making their way up her gums. That's so cool, I want to see that!
Anyway, after we had our appointments, we went to pick mom up in Woodland Hills. She's really struggling with this estate situation, and apparently, she came out to help clean up and get things going, and Uncle Gary is just being so awful and rude to her, being uncooperative, cutting her out of decision-making. And it sounds like Uncle Bob isn't being much better; I mean, he isn't mean to mom like Uncle Gary is, but he's not taking her ideas, he's not letting her make decisions, etc. I'm so frustrated for her, and this whole thing just has her in knots, and it's hard for me to see. I can't wait til it's all resolved and done so that mom can move on and relax.
So, she was planning on working on Saturday, but she just couldn't bring herself to do it and asked us to come get her for the weekend. The traffic was awful on the way back up, so we stopped for food and drinks that we could all eat in the car as we made our way home. The traffic had started super early that Friday; it was bumper to bumper at 3:30 in the afternoon, and it took us an hour and a half to get back home.
We put the kids to bed when we got home, and then mom and I went shopping for some things for her to eat on her diet.
It was a bad eating weekend for me. I couldn't keep away from the chocolate chip cookies and dough I'd made for the kids and Daniel, which is ridiculous. And once I have a taste, it's hard for me to get back to a place of saying "no".
Saturday morning, I got up early to go help clean the church. I haven't done it once since we moved here, I've been feeling like I should just do it. It's such an easy way to serve. So, I went Saturday morning, and I'm hoping to do another Saturday this month. Our ward is responsible for helping clean the building every other month, and my goal is to do at least 2 Saturdays of that month. I apparently was doing too thorough a job at vacuuming, though, because everyone else was ready to go home before I was halfway done. I know better for next time. It's more like spot vacuuming.
We were kind of lazy for the rest of Saturday. The kids watched some cartoons, because they didn't get to watch tv on Friday, and I took a miniature nap. Gramma helped Brooke climb the tree we have out in the back. It was so cute to watch them. Brooke was doing pretty well climbing, but then she got stuck somewhere and Gramma would walk over and help walk Brooke through the steps she needed to take to go where she wanted. We played sleeping queens with Gramma; I bathed the kids and made a simple dinner and got ready before Mom and I went on our fun date.
We started by going to Stonefire Grill for dinner, and getting some really yummy salads and chicken. Then we drove out to Pasadena for LeAnn Barlow's Dress Tour. I was SO excited to go, because I followed along for the whole monthly dress series on her blog and on instagram, and I just loved what she created. Mom was excited, too, because she's a seamstress; but she found a lot to be desired with LeAnn's execution and sewing skills. She kept saying that LeAnn is not a seamstress; she's a designer and creator, but doesn't really know how to sew. I could see a lot of what was wrong with the dresses, but I still think it's amazing what she was able to do, and I want to be able to create beautiful things like that. We saw Inga there; she went with a friend. And I saw one of Daniel's old co-workers from KKAJ, Diane Riveros -- she's friends with LeAnn, which was kind of fun. Anyway, we walked around, took pictures, and then talked to LeAnn at the end. It was so amazing to meet her! She's so beautiful and she was so kind and gracious, and I was such a dorky fan-girl. I was all starstruck, meeting her (enter embarrassed face emoji).
It was such a fun night, and I'm glad mom and I could do that together.
Our Sunday was busy with choir practice, Sunday Home Lessons, church, me playing the organ (butchering the organ, is more like), playing games with Gramma, taking miniature naps, Daniel making dinner, having our Scripture lesson in the evening, and me going to song practice.
Before I left for song practice in the evening, though, Brooke was hanging with me and mom while I was talking to mom about chatbooks and creating her own books, and Brooke was really wiggling, twisting, turning her little loose tooth. Mom checked her tooth once and said it wasn't ready. But Brooke kept working it, and Mom checked again 10 minutes later and tried to yank it out. Poor Brooke, her mouth started bleeding a ton, and it looked like it really hurt her and she cried for a bit. She rinsed out her mouth, and then kept working on her tooth, and after a little bit, she just pulled it out of her mouth. She was like, "MOM!" and held her hand out to me, and there was her little tooth! She was SO EXCITED. It was so cute.
When I came home from song practice, she came downstairs and asked me to go up to bed with her. She showed me that she'd put her tooth under her pillow, and she was so excited to have the tooth fairy come. Which, she did. And she left Brooke 4 quarters in exchange for her little tooth.
Today was a weird day for us. I started by going to the dentist for my teeth cleaning and laser treatment, while Mom watched the littles and got ready to go. When I got back, we drove Mom out to Woodland Hills. She dreaded going back the whole time we were driving out. Poor thing. Camille picked some lemons and oranges from Uncle Gary's trees, and we drove back home. Jack went down for a nap, and Camille and I had lunch and hung out, we read, and then Brooke came home. We read some more from books Brooke brought from school, we played the Mickey game, Jack woke up, I started trying to get things done, we had dinner and FHE. But I got almost nothing on my list done. It's fine, it was just weird. But then, I guess this week will be weird as it is, with Julie's family coming for a night, and Mom coming back for a day, and then Valentines Day. I'll get back to my routine next week.







No comments:
Post a Comment