There was a party thrown by some sisters in our ward and their friends at the beginning of the month. The theme was "Freak Show", and these girls went all out! They held it in the Halladay's backyard (a family in our ward that is loaded and has a huge property where we throw many of our ward parties). They had a dance floor, tables and chairs, a setup for taking pictures, treats and drinks. And the decorations were amazing! It was carnival freak show all over that yard: freaky dolls hanging from the trees; scary clowns hanging out in random places; tents and hay bails; balloons and a hotdog stand; skulls and creepy busts. A ton of people went; there was much dancing and fun all around. We didn't even know the majority of the people there, but we had a great time.
*Jill Newbold, Megan Hebdon, and me*
Then, last weekend, of course, was our ward Halloween party. Also in the Halladay's backyard, and with many of the decorations from the other party. It was a fun party! And much more comfortable for us than in years past, probably because we know people, finally, and have some friends. I made some veg chili for it, mostly for myself ... :) And we all dressed in our fun costumes. The girls had taken a pretty late nap, again (that seems to be happening a lot more lately), so I felt like we could stay a little later than we normally would. Although, Camille was getting pretty restless towards the end. Brooke had fun following Daisey around and playing with her and Miley Delhoyo.
*Tweedle Dee and Alice*
*Tweedle Dum, Tweedle Dee, and Alice in Wonderland*
This year, I wanted to start a new tradition for our family for Halloween -- a Halloween Feast! A special dinner, where I make something delicious and possible Spooky themed. Everything had spooky names. I put out some candles and pumpkins, we played a Halloween station, and we had a great time. Unfortunately, Daniel was working late and commuting home, and Gramma was working at Grandpa Bowen's house, so they missed our fun dinner. But the girls and I had fun. And I had fun planning and making it all. Hopefully next year, Dadda will be able to do it with us. I'm also thinking that next year, we'll have to do some Halloween themed activity afterwards, like carving pumpkins or making little Kleenex ghosts or decorating Halloween cookies. We'll see. But I see a very fun future with this new tradition!
*Our Halloween Feast -- Witches' Wands, Spooky Salad, Worms and Eyeballs, Bones, and Pumpkin muffins. So fun! Camille loved the feast -- the bones and eyeballs and muffins in particular. But she's a really good eater, nearly all of the time. *
Daniel didn't have to go in to work this morning because of his assignment for today. So we had some time to be together, which has been rather rare of late. And we carved pumpkins! Brooke had a great time drawing on, poking holes in and cutting up her pumpkin (with help, of course -- Daniel ended up carving her pumpkin with a happy face, like she requested).
*My vampire pumpkin, Daniel's silly pumpkin, and Brooke's smiley pumpkin in the front.*
This afternoon, Daniel's old firm, KKAJ, had a Halloween Party at their office and invited all the families and children, and they even invited us, which I thought was so nice. They had pizza there for everyone for lunch and they did a fun little Halloween Parade for the kids to show off their costumes. The kids were led around from office to office, trick-or-treating for candy from all of the employees. Brooke had a great time, and it was so fun for Daniel and I to see our friends. They loved having all the kids together in the office, and I must say, they were all pretty cute.
Aside from all of these fun Halloween festivities, I've been reading Dracula during this season. I've missed the last few Octobers; the month just seems to slip away, and I would find that I hadn't read it ... again. (And honestly, you can't read Dracula during any other month of the year. Honestly.)So this year was the year. And I really love it! I keep wondering how it is that I haven't been reading this book every single October! It's the perfectly spooky book to read during Halloween. Spooky, but not really terrifying like you feel during horror movies. It's an interesting and fast-paced story, and it's fast becoming one of my favorite books. I'm not done, yet, though, so that could change in the last 150 pages.
This October has been perfect!!

No comments:
Post a Comment