Wednesday, February 18, 2015

"Thank You, Mommy!"

The week of Valentine's Day was oh, so busy for me. No really. I had something going every night, except Friday.

Monday night was, of course, Family Home Evening. And I don't even remember what we did that night at this point. Daniel worked a bit later, I think, and then by the time he came home, we had a really quick FHE. I made a really simple and really healthy blueberry cobbler for Family Night treat. It ended up being more like a breakfast cake, in my opinion, which is probably what I'll use it for. It just wasn't super dessert-y to me.

Tuesday night I had Nicole Faucette and Denae Garrison and their kids come over for dinner. I thought that since we are in full-blown busy season mode, it might be nice for all of us wives to get together some nights, let our kids play, have some food, and spend some time. It was pretty fun. We just ordered a few pizzas and I made a big salad for us big girls. And vegan cookies. :) Those were a mistake because they were really hard for me to resist eating. Which I pretty much didn't do. Resist eating them, that is.

Wednesday night was crazy. We had the missionaries over for dinner. I made homemade pita bread (new recipe) and we had pita sandwiches (or what I like to call veggie gyros). They were SO good! I really need to make them again. It's funny, because the way I eat is so different than most people, the missionaries usually get fed some very different foods than they're used to. They always say, "Wow, this is so different! I've never had anything like this before!" But I hope they appreciate it a little. I mean, it must get old eating the same things over and over. A little difference might be nice. I hope.

After the missionaries left, I jetted on down to the church for my first presidency meeting with the new presidency. It was nice. It went long, but that's to be expected, as we are discussing new things, getting to know each other a bit and trying to figure out how we are all going to work together. I am quite excited to work with this new presidency. They are all really awesome, amazing women. I'm sure I can learn a lot from them.

Thursday night was another crazy. I took the car that day because I had errands to run and presents to buy. There was a baby shower for Brandy Gardner, a new sister in our ward (actually she's been in our ward for several months at least, but she was on bed rest while pregnant with her little boy, so we didn't see much of her; and then she had her baby, so we still don't see much of her). I made one of my favorite appetizers for it, Artichoke Walnut Crostini, one of Chloe's recipes. Everyone loved it! I got several requests for the recipe and ended up sharing it on our RS facebook page so I would only have to do it once. I couldn't stay long at the shower because I had made an appointment to get my hair cut with Bri Oborn, one of the sisters I visit teach. I'm really glad I had her do my hair; I feel like it's been hard to get to know her and connect with her, even though I have been her visiting teacher for several months ... probably coming up on a year, actually! She's just so busy and out of town a lot that it's hard for  me to get in to see her, let alone become friends. You know? But it was so good, because it took a couple hours to do my hair, and we just talked and bonded and what-not. I felt pretty good about it. And ... I love my haircut!

Friday was just about the only day of the week that Daniel could stay at the office and work some overtime, so that is what he did. Oh, I guess he did work late on Tuesday, too. But every other day this week he's had to come home and watch the girls so I could do what I needed to do. Anyway, I obviously worked on Valentine's Day plans, folded laundry, cleaned up the house a bit and started preparing for our trip.

Brooke has been so cute and polite lately. She's always saying "Thank you, Mommy!" And she says cute things like, "I like you!" and "I love you, Mommy!" The other day, she was eating breakfast (or maybe it was lunch) and I got up to do something. She turned around in her chair, and said something with her mouth full, which I, of course, couldn't understand. I told her to eat what was in her mouth and then talk to me. When she finally did, she said, "You look so pretty, Mamma!" It was so cute! She just melt my heart!

She's started calling me by my first name, which is in equal parts cute and not cute. I don't want her to get into the habit of calling me Leslie, because I don't think it's right for little kids to call their parents by their first names. It's less respectful in my opinion. Plus, these littles are the only ones that get to call me mom, and I want them to call me mom. Anyway, I always correct her and say, "Brooke, you call me mom." She always says, "Okay", but then later she'll call me Leslie again. I never get after her about it; but I'm sure if she keeps it up long term, I probably will at some point. Anyway, one day I said to her, "Brooke, what's my name?" and she said, "Mom!"

Another funny Brooke-ism:

I was telling her what I needed to do before I could sit and play with her. I was getting ready to go on a trip and I wanted to have laundry and floors done, plus I had to do some other things. I said to her, "I need to do my chores and clean up!" She looked at me and replied, "Don't worry, mom! I'll help you." I just about died.


*Brooke got into my makeup and put some on. :) *





*Brooke looks cuter in this hat than I do*

No comments:

Post a Comment